Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Never give up. 決してあきらめない。


This is the "1 Point English" 2016 commemoration lesson for next Tuesday.

Since February, I have made a weekly 5-minute "1 Point English" lesson for the teachers at my school. Nearly every Tuesday during the morning staff meeting, I present the point, either an idiom or a common phrase in English. Some of these lessons are posted in the back of the classrooms for the students to see too.

When I was first asked by my principal to make these lessons, I had little idea how they were going to take shape. I wasn't sure what the teachers wanted to know, nor how effective the lessons might be. Teachers, especially in Japan, are extremely busy, so I didn't want to take up too much of their precious time with just any little tidbit.

This motivated me to focus on language that I thought might be helpful to them or even timely to the season. For example, I introduced the word "Congratulations" during March's graduation time and the idiom "Learning the ropes" as the new staff trained with us in the first weeks of April.

It seems things are going well. I hope my fellow teachers are getting something out of these lessons and that our good cultural exchanges can continue to foster a deeper understanding of the universal qualities of human nature. These lessons are geared to not only introduce points in English. They are also a way for me to share what I think is interesting and to explore similarities in Japanese and American societies.

This little B5-sized sheet of paper, I believe, has materialized into something more than just a flyer. It's become a good way for us to bond with, share in and reinforce our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In loving tribute to my favorite band Chicano Batman

  A humble tribute to Chicano Batman's "Live Today."